How do the principles of effective leadership apply to teams?
In a dental or medical practice, there are no soloists. Staff must work as a team to create a harmonious, successful practice. Who has the responsibility of leadership in the healthcare setting?
- Dentists and Doctors
- Hygienists and Nurses
- Office managers and admin personnel
- Dental and Medical Assistants
Team leaders can be most effective when he/she:
- Provides clear direction
- Fosters collaboration
- Motivates achievement
Providing clear direction
Before I could safely put my childrens new goldfish into the bowl, I had to provide healthy, clear water for them. I had to purchase a product to perform that task, a water clarifier. The one I purchased claimed to do the following:
- Support the development of beneficial bacteria for healthy and clear water
- Help reduce aquarium pollution in the water
- Neutralize chlorine and heavy metals present in tap water that can harm fish
- Provide a slime coating to help wounds heal and protect fish from abrasions
- Condition the water
Phew! That was a lot to know and do, but without that necessary step, the fish would not have survived very long.
It’s no less important to provide clear direction for your team members in the way of…
- A Vision Statement
- A Mission Statement
- A list of Values to be strictly adhered to
- Goals for success
- A Strategic plan
12 FOUNDATION ESSENTIALS FOR BUILDING A WINNING TEAM
by Bent Ericksen & Associates
Will be yours for free via email when you post a comment telling me and my readers how you’ve mastered, or worked for someone that has mastered, one of the five areas for providing clear direction above.
Let me hear from you!